Viruses have been around for a looooong time, and it’s safe to bet they’ll continue to be around a lot longer than us. So, although we do not have a range of effective antiviral pharmaceuticals like we have antibiotics, we have loads of experience and evidence for how to effectively treat viral infections.
The key to effectively treating a viral infection is to use our understanding of immune system function to give it everything it needs to fight off the infection. The body has all of the tools it needs to fight viruses; it has been doing it since you’ve been born. But we know that it can be far more effective if you take certain steps to help it.
These steps include improving gut function (~70% of immune cells reside in the gut!), lowering the stress response (fight-or-flight activation restricts immune function), and incorporating specific nutrients and herbs that have been shown to be anti-viral or otherwise support the body’s own processes for fighting pathogens.
[***Important Note: this is NOT medical advice. If you think you have an illness including COVID-19, please CALL your doctor for next steps. If you are uninsured and/or don’t have a doctor and live in the Austin area: call CommUnityCare at 512-978-8775. CommUnityCare will talk to you over the phone and send you to the appropriate location.
There are currently no approved treatments for COVID-19. Patients are being told to support with fluids, symptomatic care, and ventilators, if needed.
The recommendations below are to support your body to get through any illness as fast as possible. This is what I would do for myself and my family. This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but these are my favorites and professional brands I trust and can get a hold of easily.]
Here are my top options for fighting a viral infection:
- Probiotics – Very important to help gut and immune system function. Recommend Sibiotica by Apex Energetics
- L-glutamine – An amino acid, the most important nutrient to repair gut lining in leaky gut syndrome. Recommend Infinity Restore by Apex Energetics.
- Don’t forget the basics: Loads of research supporting the effectiveness of breathing exercises, cardiovascular exercise, mindfulness, acupuncture, and spending time in nature to decrease stress. If you’re already sick, do what you can to continue to manage stress!
- Xiao Yao San (Chinese herbal formula) – Often used Chinese herbal formula for the treatment of stress, anxiety and some women’s health conditions. Highly recommend getting Chinese herbal formulas from a Licensed Acupuncturist to determine if it is appropriate for you and to ensure high quality.
- Drenamin by Standard Process – Supports adrenal function and helps maintain emotional balance.
Herb, vitamin and nutrients for viral infections:
- Vitamin C – If sick, 1000 mg every 3-4 hours until loose stool, then stop (1000mg/day as prevention)
- Zinc – if sick, 60-90mg per day, for 4 days (15 – 30mg/day as prevention)
- Vitamin D if levels are low (Hint: the vast majority of people are deficient so it is a good idea to supplement even if you aren’t sure!)
- Vitamin A – if sick, 50,000 IU per day for 4 days (DO NOT USE IF PREGNANT)
- Glutathione – Very important and effective antioxidant. Recommend Trizomal Glutathione by Apex Energetics
- NAC – Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and expectorant.
- Biodicin by Bio-Botanical Research – Multiple anti-viral herbs at therapeutic dosages including Milk Thistle, Echinacea extract, Goldenseal, Shiitake extract, White Willow Bark, Garlic, Grapeseed extract, Tea Tree oil, and Oregano oil among others
And of course:
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Increase nutrient intake
- Nasal rinse daily